Thursday, January 13, 2011

Really Should Be Doing Something Productive

It is a new year and according to the Mayans our last in existence. Yippee! The end of 2010 was blurry and sad for me. I did not enjoy it the way I intended to, but even the best made plans get botched. The only importance to the holidays is family and when family is splinted, say by an event, it becomes empty. I feel like the past few years no one really cares about Christmas and what it's suppose to be other than Jesus' birthday which it isn't by the way. So, I sat at home on Christmas Eve laying about and having a few drinks which made me feel incredibly good being by myself for once. Christmas Day was brighter: amazing food from Grams, fun card games (won Sevens probably close to 10 times and I really stink at card games!), and a few presents. I got a watch because I'm very anal about time and not having one for several years grates me a little. New Year's Eve was spent with friends: food, games, and presents again! I'm usually the happiest when I least expect it. I blame my brother, Nick for that really...

I need to finish reading Gossip Girl, they keep sitting on my shelf taunting me to finish reading them. I kind of miss the sassy(did I just say that?) dialogue, stoned jocks, and bitchy drunk girls (aka Blair Waldorf) - oh forgot to include bulimic somewhere in there. Honestly, I thought I had problems (and I do) but they are not social problems. Nothing from my environment is affecting my problems, it's more like my mind responding to things in my environment. Wow, that might actually be redundant. Basically, I'm a non-smoking, socially anxious yet possibly self-destructive individual that's keen to reach out to the world and fix it and some of its people in the process. I'm just stuck at the "fixing me" part. I know there is a person somewhere in me and I know they are struggling to get out but they can't find the right door.

OK, I need to finish Gossip Girl , but Nightfall sits atop it with 20 pages (give or take) to finish. Not to mention there is a follow-up to it. My first impressions were so-so about the book and I could see why fans love the original series published back in the early 90s. The story was cohesive in those books and easier to follow. In Nightfall, I felt like I was thrown into a complete different world that the original books placed the audience in. Right away the use of technology threw me because chronologically if the original books were set at the time of their actual release and these books follow shortly after those (possible a week or so...) there wouldn't have been cell phones. It would have been 1991 or 1992. But, I understand these are being set-up to new readers and old ones, and we have to change with the changing times. The other problem was the story was convoluted with mystical side. It is not well explained until way into the second half of the book. Up before that point I kept having a furrow brow wondering what the hell is going on in Fell's Church. Matt and Meredith - my two favorite characters have small roles but they still dominate the scenes they appear in. Matt especially in his protection for Elena (which, let's face it, isn't used at all on the show) when they are in the Old Wood. If only his strength were found more on the show, maybe in the future (of the show) I will be pleasantly surprised.

What I liked about it - I found out what really is going on in Damon's head. Very small role in the original books so it's logical to see why he loves Elena. He is a bastard in many parts of the book even without possession (spoiler) and I guess I'm twisted because I wouldn't mind seeing some more of that in the show too. I know he was mean for half the first season and it's nice he's all "one with his humanity" but when he spikes with hatred...it's meaningful. There was an interview I listened to where Ian Somerhalder (*sigh*) mentioned a scene in one of the books where Damon goes in a store and just compels and charms these women, but I was confused because I hadn't read any part like that. Well, I think it came from Nightfall because there is lots of Damon POV going on and it's a good starting point for playing that character.

Time to send off. I've got reading to do and sleep. Can't forget that...

No comments:

Post a Comment