Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mortal Kombat 3 : My Thoughts


For the past year, I've been checking out the Mortal Kombat 3 page on IMDB.com. Supposedly this film has been in the works for several years now - 2007 to be exact. I've looked at many comments that people have left from news and progress of the film and there are a few things I would like to get out there.

One - I'm not a HUGE fan of the series of games, I have played several of them over the years, usually for leisure with friends. I don't follow every plot line and I don't recognize any of the more recent characters revealed in the games. I have always enjoyed the movies. Mortal Kombat because I believed it had a good mixture of action and drama mixed in with a little Johnny Cage satire. Mortal Kombat: Annaliation( I'm sure I botched that up!) because of the action and that's it.

One thing in comments I read that I agreed with was how the first two movies were much lighter and that for the third it can be darker than the previous installments. As stated from various sources, it's going to be a "remake" of the original. I don't think it makes sense to focus on a large group of characters because it doesn't work well for an audience. Besides, anyone who goes to see it in theaters are more likely to get confused UNLESS the scriptwriters can interwine the characters to prevent too many subplots and even plotholes.

I hate how it's being explained away as a "Batman Begins" type movie because I don't particulary like the movie. It was too long and way too much story. Trying to force feed me information is boring...especially to people who aren't die-hard fans. I liked Batman, a fan of the original film and the crappier sequels...but no. I don't want that. Tell me the movie will be darker but you don't have to bring that up to ring me in. I'm sure Bat fans will have a shit fest.

I would love for some of the original cast to appear, I don't see why Christopher Lambert, Linden Ashby, and Robin Shou could reprise their roles. They are older, but I don't think the characters are very young anyway. I can understand the need to bring fresh, new faces because a younger audience would not only be drawn in but familiar with them.

Low and behold, the script is complete and the production is currently casting...if this is suppose to premiere in 2010, they need to kick it into high gear. Hopefully, there will be some head way in the coming months, I'm excited to see who will be casted. I'm getting sick of the Christopher Lambert (rumored) mess...let's get down to business! I'm ready for more kombat!

No comments:

Post a Comment